The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) in Boulder, Colorado is seeking a research scientist with programming experience to work in the NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory (ESRL)/Global Systems Division (GSD). The candidate will have responsibilities related to the development, testing, and community support of numerical weather prediction (NWP) systems, including the Hurricane Weather Research and Forecasting (HWRF) model and modeling suites that are part of NOAA’s Next Generation Global Prediction System (NGGPS). This position will be located in Boulder, Colorado.
(1) Participate in the Developmental Testbed Center (DTC) Hurricane Task by supporting the community in using and adding innovations to the HWRF modeling system. This activity includes
- Scientific coordination activities such as participating in the HWRF Developers Committee
- Technical activities related to code management and integration
- Support to outside collaborators in adding their innovations to the code using well-established protocols
- Preparation and delivery of educational materials such as documentation and tutorials
(2) Conduct testing and evaluation of the HWRF model, both for software integrity and for assessment of modeling innovations for potential transition to operations at the National Weather Service.
(3) Engage in additional activities in NWP related to ongoing projects in GSD, including both regional and global modeling.
The applicant will be expected to work collaboratively with GSD and DTC partners, including the National Center for Atmospheric Research, the NOAA National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP), and the research community. She/he will also work with colleagues to document and present the results in the form of journal articles, seminars, and conference presentations.