There is a vacancy for a postdoctoral position at the Institut Mediterrani d’Estudis Avançats (IMEDEA), a joint centre between the University of the Balearic Islands and the Spanish Research Council located in Esporles (Mallorca, Spain). The position will integrate within the Sea Level and Marine Climate research group.
The position is for a period of 2 years and is externally funded through the CLIFISH project Climate variability and fisheries in the XXI century.
About the project/work tasks
The successful candidate will contribute to the following tasks :
- Development and analysis of Mediterranean Sea climate projections.
- Integration of the evolution of physical variables in physical-biological statistical models.
- Writting of scientific papers.
Qualifications and personal qualities
- The applicant must hold a PhD or an equivalent degree in physical oceanography, physics, mathematics or another relevant field (or must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline). It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- Very good programming skills in FORTRAN and the operating system UNIX are required.
- Experience in ocean modelling is highly desirable.
- Experience in the interactions between physical parameters and biology will be an advantage.
- Adequate proficiency in both written and oral English for publishing results and communicating with other scientists is necessary.
- Special requirements for the position are the ability to work in an interdisciplinary team and to take responsibility for own tasks.
We can offer
- A good and professionally challenging working environment.
- Salary at the level of Spanish junior postdoc (gross salary of 24.000 € /year)
Applications must include
- A brief account of the applicant’s research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact information of two reference persons. One of these should be the main advisor of the applicants’ PhD thesis
- A CV
More detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting Gabriel Jordà